Thursday, 17 November 2011

The secret of the cabinets


You would think it would be one of my favourite jobs at the shop. Arranging the display cabinets. We have so many beautiful bits and pieces and it's up to me to merchandise them so they are irresistable to our customers. I'll let you into a secret. I neglect my cabinets badly. It takes time to get each arrangement just right. I'll work for ages then step back to admire them and ... well I've been known to start from scratch again and again. Truth is I do my best work when I'm under pressure or I'm tired. Isn't it always the way? So what has been on display lately? Antique eye glasses including a pair from the American Civil War. Himilayan embroideries. Jewellery - of course. Carvings and tiny brass propellers. Lacquer boxes and horn and fish and fans.